Workshops: Botanical Bundle Dyeing
Learn the ancient art of botanical bundle dyeing and make your own wearable art. Beginners welcome! $150 includes everything.
Join us at Hat Ranch Gallery as Fiber Artist and Natural Dyer, Wendy Getchell, shares the magic that happens when using botanicals to imprint and dye fabric.
We will begin with a brief “meet and greet” followed by a discussion of natural dye techniques and history. Wendy will demonstrate various ways of arranging the botanicals on your scarf and methods of folding and bundling the fabric. We will then choose from a variety of flowers, leaves and dried botanicals and create our one-of-a-kind wearable art.
While we wait for the steaming process to do it’s magic we will have time to *eat lunch, leaf through books on natural dyeing, socialize and relax. Informal discussions on other natural dye processes will be included in this time.
When the steam process is complete we will reveal our creations and experiment with finishing techniques such as color changing oxides and salts.
* All dye materials and light refreshments
* 14” x 70” silk/wool fringed scarf plus 2 yards of silk ribbon and test fabric strips
* Techniques for preparing and laying out the botanical materials
* Methods of rolling, tying and heating bundled materials
* Finishing techniques
* Discussion of other natural dye techniques
* Recommended books and online resources
* List of material sources
* Detailed instruction to work on your own
Workshop Fee: $150 - ($50 deposit required to register, remainder due at class)
Class size limited to 10
Please bring a lunch and wear comfortable clothing